Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Jupiter-Mass Companion to a Solar Mass Star

Queloz and Mayor 1995

Annoyed as I was at the de-bugging process, I decided to take a break while my Monte-Carlo code ran and read Queloz and Mayor's historic Nature paper about 51 Pegasi b.

The paper is actually quite exciting. These five little pages were the start of this entire field. The "intensive observations during eight consecutive nights" sounds very exciting for all the technical language in the paper. I can only imagine what it might have felt like to be at that discovery.

The tone of the paper is different then other planet papers I've read. They definitely expected a lot of opposition, which I guess they got. Each objection seems to be carefully thought out and analyzed. Now I assume there is a specific process to eliminate all sources of mistakes, but they got to come up with it all themselves. Quite fun.

In the details, I liked learning that giant pulsating stars pulsate simultaneously in many short-period modes. I guess that does make sense considering what I'm working through in Carroll and Ostlie on stellar pulsation.

No comments:

Post a Comment