Friday, July 9, 2010

GOOD VALUES RETURNED!!!!!





After much modification, my MATLAB code now returns the following parameters for M37, NGC 2099:
Age= 440 million years
m-M=11.48
E(B-V)=.25
These values are in good agreement with published parameters. Now that I know the place I am looking for better, I tightened my prior and use a finer grid close to the peak.
Even though the PDF's and results look great, it doesn't look as good a visual fit as one could possible be. I may be just that I am paying attention to how well it fits in the red giant area, which is easier to visually judge. Now that everything else is working, I will modify the standard deviation for each star to account for its position and give more weight to red giants and those on the cut off than those on the main sequence.

I first got my code to work before lunch, but after making the age grid finer it stopped working. I somehow managed to not correctly transfer the new array of isochrone values. Other problems I encountered include rounding to zero for the probability and gaining -Inf for tau squared (solved by adding a very small positive number) and the mysterious Nan 's (eliminated by deleting Nan 's that somehow showed up in my star data). I took out stars obviously not on the isochrone from the data set as well.

Today I also learned that the UBV measurements taken by CCD cameras are on a different link than plain UBV from photographs. Hence I need to change the data I have been working with for all the clusters. It probably does not change the preliminary mass estimates much, but for fitting the cluster later I will need to use the CCD data, since it is more accurate.

I also need to study whether or not it is possible to fit for metallicity. Metallicity does slightly change the isochrone, so I need to determine whether or not it is discernible in a fit.

I have also added three new stars in NGC 6134 at mass 2.14 solar masses. This brings the total to 21 viable stars. For the next few days I will set aside the fitting to focus on getting more stars and calculating priorities and exposure times.

No comments:

Post a Comment