Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Better Results

So when I left last night I set the Monte Carlo simulated annealing program to run for 5000 iterations instead of 1000. Now the optimum is even better
.....
6 observations of 96 stars gives 10.82 planets.

I did get "arithmetic error: floating underflow" and "arithmetic error: Floating illegal operand", but the results seem legitimate.

Except, yeah, none of this actually practically works. I didn't set a lower limit on Signal to Noise, so its at a completely unpractical low level. Um... I'll write in a lower limit and run it again. That's probably why its actually returning 10% planets instead of 20%.

Except, yeah, I just spent an hour or so trying to figure out what was wrong with my instrument noise formula, and I had .01 as a constant instead of .002. Yeah, who knows how many times I recalculated it and kept getting it wrong. Works now :) Will run another simulation of 5000 now and see what happens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment