Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Stellar Mass Distributions


So now I have a successful code to compute the PDF and CDF for a star's mass in an open cluster. I have uploaded the results for NGC2099 star no 108. It has an expected mass of 1.97 and a 90% confidence level of [1.7 , 2.26], a 0.56 mass range. The mean mass is 0.3 lower than what I roughly had, but WEBDA has an open cluster log age of 8.85, instead of the 9 or so that I got.

So it turns out the mass grid for each parameter set is different, so I had to round to a standard mass grid with 1/30 solar mass intervals in order to marginalize over all the parameters. When multiple points on the old mass grid rounded to the new point, I would then take the average of all the probabilities.

I am actually comtemplating retrying the gridding method using my new additions for binary population, IMF, etc. With a rough enough grid, it might actually be only less than an order of magnitude worse. And it wouldn't be subject to the random pertubations of CE and the underestimation of errors of bootstrapping.

For the next two and a half weeks, I only need to run the procedure through all the clusters and stars, and rework a couple of things in the survey optimization. I also want to determine what would be the most efficient amount of time spent on this survey/ at what time would getting more objects decrease the quality of the objects too much. I wonder what is the overall average rate of planet discovery per telescope time.

No comments:

Post a Comment