Tuesday, August 31, 2010

New gridding adventures

To contrast the performance of the Cross Entropy method, I modified it slightly to brute compute on a 30x30x30 parameter grid with solar metalicity. Surprisingly enough, it isn't that much slower. Running times are actually roughly comparable, and the gridding method isn't subject to random noise. I could use the CE method to get an age estimate when there isn't any previous estimate off which to choose my grid, but switch to gridding to get the PDF.

Well, I was getting delta functions again and way too large -log likelihoods. But now writing about this I realized that I was marginalizing over the other parameters before exponenting the -log likelihood. So now its turning out quite nicely.

I guess previous problems put me off the gridding method, but now I see that it is probably the way to go. The one problem is that I can't use U-B data without doing a for-loop to fit for E(U-B). IDL couldn't handle the size of array necessary to account for four variables.

So tomorrow, I will start running everything through this and test the effect of binary percentage. I think I'll start working on my final paper and presentation too while waiting for things to run.

1 comment: