Friday, August 6, 2010

Planning A New Cluster Fitting Protocol

By studying a wider array of literature on the subject, I have become aware of multiple systemic errors in my code that need modification and improvements that I could enact. What I had been doing, though not wrong in the simplest sense, was an oversimplification and not representing the full knowledge that we have on the subject.

Therefore I attempt to make these changes:
1. Change to writing in IDL
It can read in the bulk isochrone files so i don't have to input each age individually
2. Use the Cross Entropy and bootstrapping methods
This will allow me to perform 3
3. Take larger and finer time and metallicity grids
4. Use U-B information as well
5. Factor in the probability that each star is a binary
Accomplished by changing the star's distribution function to a smeared Gaussian
6. Weight each star based similar to Mendieros
7. Use one reference source for the data
8. Factor in the Initial Mass Function
Unsure of how to accomplish this... maybe weighting the isochrone points
9. Perform for multiple theoretical isochrone databases to analyze systematic error arising from theoretical underpinnings

After all these, I will test my program using simulated clusters before applying them to the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment